Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I was all set to blog more about marketing and promotion, but I'm having problems with a new medication I'm taking and I just don't have the energy. Rather than miss an opportunity to share something, I've decided to post the newest review of my latest release, Sparta Rose.

Getting this book published is a story in itself. After signing with and having my first agent close her doors before anything productive happened, I was successful in signing with a second. I submitted Sparta Rose and she loved it, and after waiting several months, she contacted me and said she had found a publisher who loved my work. Although I'd never heard of the "house," I asked the questions I thought were pertinent, ready through the contract and signed on the dotted line. I later discovered that I'd been lied too, and the company was indeed another e-publisher, like the several with whom I'd already signed, and although they professed not to deal in "print on demand," that was exactly what they did. Rather than cause I scene, I honored my agreement. Unfortunately, something totally unforeseen happened and I asked for, and received my rights back to the story. The beautiful cover that had been designed for me was pulled and promptly assigned to an anthology group.

I secured a second publisher, went through editing, sat back and waited for October 2007 to come. Right before the book was due for release, the editor and owner of the company encountered family problems and put everything on hold. Rather than wait to see if things played out in my favor, I asked for and received my rights back again. The second beautiful cover fell by the wayside. Of course, you realize any good author has already been promoting a book long before it's release, so now I've promoted two covers that will never be... even entered them in the Covey awards. Do you know what a headache it is to have to pull your promotions from every site you've posted to? It sucks.

Luckily, a third publisher contracted Sparta Rose. Another editing, another wait, but at long last, Ellie's story is finally published. Eternal Press released my story this month, and I'm happy to let you sit in on her first official interview:

Our special guest this evening is Miss Roselle Fountain, the heroine from author, Ginger Simpson’s historical, Sparta Rose. Welcome, Roselle.

RF – *Fidgeting* Oh please call me Ellie. I’ve never much identified with such a flowery name. You probably can’t tell by the way I’m dressed today, but I’ve always been somewhat of a tomboy.

INT - *Laughing*. So I’ve heard. You look very nice in your flowered print—very much the lady.

RF – That’s Pa’s doing. He insisted if I was going to make an appearance, I needed to dress more high-falutin’. I’d much rather be wearing britches and boots. *Tugs at the neckline of her dress*. These things are too danged uncomfortable at times.

INT – So, Ellie, tell the readers a little about Sparta Rose.

RF – *Smiles* Well, I can’t give away too much. Ginger would skin me alive, but I’m sure she won’t mind me telling you that it’s got a little romance, a lot of western, and even more feistiness than her last historical romance. My problems begin when Pa hires Tyler Bishop as the ranch foreman. I kinda figured Pa always wanted a son, and Ty proves me right. Their relationship gets me pretty riled up. I have a bad temper at times… I think it comes from this red hair. *pulls a strand forward and grins*.

INT – So, besides your jealousy of Ty, is there any adventure involved.

RF – Oh, you bet. *Squares herself in her chair*. The polecats that live on the neighboring ranch are aiming to get Fountainhead away from Pa. Dude Bryant and his twin boys are meaner than snakes… well at least Dude and Jeb are. Joshua comes across as quiet and a follower. But, *balls hands into fists* I’ll be danged if they’re gonna get my legacy. I actually bought a gun and taught myself to shoot it.

INT – A gun? What do you plan to do with it?

RF – Protect Fountainhead of course. I’m aim to show Pa he don’t need Tyler Bishop around when he has me. I just wish Ty wasn’t so dang good lookin’.

INT – I haven’t heard you mention your mother. How does she feel about you owning a gun?

RF - *Lowers her eyes*. My ma died when I was very young. I suppose that’s why I took up with the ranch hands and spend so much time workin’ outdoors. *Raises a steely gaze*. But, now that Ty’s in the picture, Pa wants me to spend more time in the house doing womanly things.

INT – Would that be such a bad thing?

RF – Of course it would. I don’t much care for cookin’ and cleanin’. We have Cook for that. I’d much rather brand a cow as fry one.

INT – So what about the romance part of the story?

RF – *Chews her bottom lip for a moment* Well, I accompany Ty to a dance in Sparta, and as usual, he gets my dander up there, too. I never should have gone, but those eyes of his make my knees weak. My better judgment flew right out the window. *Takes a deep breath* What happens from then on, you’ll have to find out for yourself. I may look young and naïve, but I’m not silly enough to give away the whole story. Miz Ginger is counting on sales to help pay for a face lift or something like that. I wouldn't want to let her down.

INT – I certainly wouldn’t want you to. You’ve given us enough of a teaser to stir some interest. Hopefully we’ll see you on a best seller’s list somewhere.

RF – That would be right nice. It just may happen cause remember, I have a gun. *Slaps hip and fakes a draw*.

INT - Well, here’s hoping you don’t have to use it. *laughs*. Thank you so much, Ellie for being with us today. And good luck in the future.

_________________________
So far, Ellie is garnering good reviews...here's the newest I received today. Can't argue with five of these puppies.


Reviewed by Lynn for Review Your Book

Sparta Tennessee-1860

Roselle was a tomboy from the get go. Of course, she would much rather be called Ellie and drop the Rose. That was more like the name of a fine lady. When she was only 3-years-old, she lost her mother to Typhoid. With no brothers, Ellie was compelled to follow to father around.

She had learned to rope, ride, move cattle, and brand as well if not better than, some of the ranch hands. She could mend the fences and even occasionally shoe a horse if need be.

Ellie is now 17-years-old, and her father decides that she needs to start doing things around the house--inside; woman things, learning to cook, washing. How could her father, after all these years, turn her away from what she loves to do? Why was she not born a boy?

Tyler Bishop (Ty) is the main ranch hand. He has a time trying to figure out Ellie. One time, she is one of the guys so speak. Next, she is all female. All Ty know is he is bound and determined to keep her safe, and also he is falling for her.

Ellie is getting tired of Ty bossing her around and being so overly protective of her. Ellie goes out and buys a gun, and she will learn to use it.

Ellie knew that one day she will run the ranch--or will daddy turn it over to Ty? When Land buyers want to buy the ranch, Ellie is bound and determined to stop it. Will her dad and Ty see things her way?

This is a great novel, and being from Tennessee myself, I think it is beautiful around Sparta. You can’t help but learn to become involved with the characters. They seem to grow on you.

If you like a good historical romance, you will enjoy this book. The book is written with such clarity that it keeps the readers interested. You can’t help but care about Ellie, and occasionally she will even bring a smile to you.

It is listed as a Western Historical Romance, but I put it more as just Historical, Civil War Era. I found it such a interesting read that it was hard to put down until I was finished.

0 comments:


Free Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com . Powered by Blogger and PDF Ebooks